Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Lessons from a 2-year-old

A couple weeks ago, I’d had a crummy day and was complaining to Owen about it.  Jack (who is 2) was in earshot, and during a gasp-for-more-breath break on my part, he looked knowingly at Owen and said matter-of-factly, “Oh.  Mommy fussy.”  Of course, it threw me off track from my venting.  After I got over how cute and funny it was that he said that, it actually taught me a lesson.  And I’ve been ruminating over it ever since...
I know that I complain too much, but I don’t keep myself in check as well as I should because, frankly, sometimes I feel ENTITLED to be grumpy about my sub-par circumstances or the various annoyances I must endure from day to day.  To be honest, though, it’s not making me any happier to complain about it, nor anyone else, and what is it teaching my kids?  Is it okay for Mommy to fuss and whine even though it isn’t okay for them?  No.  It’s not.


After thinking about it more, I realized it's sad that I, or anyone, should ever feel entitled to be grumpy and unhappy.  Who wants to be that way anyway?  It's no fun!  And why, oh why, hold on to the terrible feeling as if it's an inalienable right?  The cause of the feeling is enough badness to endure, without prolonging it by way of grumpy attitude.  Of course, this is a basic concept that even a 2-year-old can understand.

The complaining issue invariably leads me to thoughts about the Israelites.  I know I bring up this topic a lot, but I’m just thinking about it all the time, especially being here in this land…The Israelites complained A LOT.  Sometimes just reading through the narrative makes me feel annoyed towards them and I want to yell, “Just deal with it!”  Until I realize that I’m kind of the same way.  Probably about less important things.  (Praise the Lord I have a patient husband!)  And what’s scary is how severely God responded to their complaining: fire (Num. 11:1), snakes (Num. 21:6), disinheritance (Deut. 1:34-35)...It makes me wonder, what ailments in our lives are the direct consequences of complaining?


Here’s to endeavoring to respond positively to all life brings, whether good or bad!

1 comment:

  1. I needed to read that. Thank you, Angela. (And thank you, Jack.)

    ReplyDelete